Sunday 11 March 2012

driftwood

My latest Forest Canopy Shawl, this time knitted in Juno Fibre Arts' Milly sock yarn on 6mm needles. 

I keep banging on about how I love this pattern, and I do!  I said in an earlier post how it made something special of a very plain sock yarn, but it's also the perfect showcase for something a bit special.

This is the first time I've tried Juno's yarn and I'm enormously impressed.  It's beautiful to knit with, soft and springy, and watching the colours develop is a pleasure in itself.


This colourway is called Driftwood and as you can see from the close ups, the colours are wonderful.  The different shades and tones make me think of the pebbly beach at Lyme Bay - I can almost hear the sound of the sea on the shingle!







I'm especially pleased with the way the different colours appear in the border rows and the contrast between them on the cast off edge. 

Speaking of the cast off rows, the shawl uses a sort of Russian cast off, which takes forever!  It is well worth the extra time and trouble because it would be difficult (if not impossible) to get the lovely pointy stretchy edge without it, it just takes ages!


The weather has taken a turn for the better here.  I can't exactly say that Spring has sprung, but things are slowly but surely heading in the right direction.  The trees are full of buds, the daffs are out and the white magnolia in our little garden will flower any day now.  Can't wait for some sunshine and longer, warmer days.

Hope the weekend weather is being kind to you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment